This year, as I noted in my facebook status, I was proud to celebrate America's birthday for the first time in quite some time. Of course, there hasn't been much to celebrate in the last 7 years, what with George Bush starting wars under false pretenses, "interrogating" prisoners using brutal measures that have been repeatedly proven ineffective, infringing on our Constitutional rights, etc, etc. But this year, everything has changed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think President Obama is the Messiah or anything. There are definitely things that he has (or more appropriately, hasn't) done about which I'm not very happy. But the good things that he has accomplished far outweigh the negatives. So happy 233rd, USA, and here's to many many more.
Last night, in celebration of the anniversary of America's Declaration of Independence from Britain, we hosted a shindig in true July 4th fashion, complete with sparklers and a pretty awesome fire pit. It was pretty sweet. It was funny, as Marty and Nick were digging the pit and building the wood pile for later, some young Israeli kids walked by, and they were all excited: "You making the fire?!?!" Good times.
Since Shabbat is Friday evening and Saturday, the weekend is Friday and Saturday here in Israel, and Sunday is the beginning of the work week. Hence, today (Sunday) we start Ulpan. I'm excited. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment